Monday, September 15, 2008

Champions

Athletes have always been told that champions are made when nobody is watching. As an athlete I have heard this before many times, but never really paid attention to what it really meant. I never believed this and took it as just another motivational quote the coaches would use, that was until the same belief came into play in my life.
I was going into my senior year of high school and I had just transferred into a new school. It was tough enough transferring in to a school where I did not know anyone. But I also had a lot of pressure on my back because I was projected to help the team win many games during the season.
The fall season came around and all was well, we played many games and I was pitching pretty good. We lost a few games but it didn’t really matter to us because we had yet to begin practicing and still not at our full potential. We soon began to near the end of the fall season and that was when I started to feel slight pain in my elbow. I thought nothing of the continues pain, to me it felt more like soreness and I played threw it. That was a mistake. What I should have done was report it to either the coach or the trainer.
Turns out the pain I had was due to bone spurs and inflammation. The doctor said I was not going to be able to play, at least the beginning of the season. The second half of the season although, was still questionable which kept my hopes high. So I decided right then and there to do everything in my power to recuperate and return for the second half of the season. The following week I began to wake up at five in the morning to run at school. Just because I could not throw did not mean I could not stay in shape for when I returned. It was tuff though because at that time it was still dark and there was nobody at school. It was just me and the track, nobody to watch me or accompany me. Then I would go to school and attend practice. After practices when everybody left home I did not, I stayed and worked out even longer, again with nobody else in sight.
I continued to follow that same workout for the next month. When I returned and was able to play again I was in better shape than before. I was throwing harder, and lasting longer. I even lost weight, which impressed the scouts because I was more slender. We finished all of our games and I had the greatest season of my high school career only playing half the season.
That is why my belief was changed and now I agree with what the coach has been telling us all along. I now believe that champions are made when nobody is watching. I learned from personal experiences that it is true, and if any athlete were to ask me I would tell them just as my coach told me.

2 comments:

Askernan said...

Describe:
This story is very interesting to me because I have heard the same quote that Champions are made when nobody is watching. This story seems like something a coach would tell other athletes to inspire them to do better even if they might not get the chance they want.You explained your belief very well and the story just made it much more real.
Diagnose:
You beilieve that champions are made when nobody is watching but not just because it is a good quote but because you expierienced it yourself.
Direct:
I was just a little unclear as to how it was your senior year and then you all had games then you couldnt play had the season not started. I dont really know much about baseball so if that was cleared up that would be good. I like how you admited that you were uncomfortable in the new school and how you only had hopes to play again. It makes the reader feel more connected they begin to think wow what if I transfered to a new school senior year and had all that pressure. good essay I liked it. I cant really pick anything out that needs improvement. good job

dr.mason said...

Overall, this is a nicely related story and belief that has a god sense o fporportion (doesn't try to tell tooo much or too little). It would be nice to hear more from the characters in the middle of the essay, wheter it be the doctor, you, or a coach.

You should probably spend a little more time on the belief itself, teasing out, as you say, what it "really means." Readers may not associate high school sports with the type of "watching" that accompanies professional sport, so may not instantly see the contrast between what you do on the field and off the field that the belief refers to. I think your reference to the pressure to perform gets you part way to this goal, but you might add more at the end to contrast the work done in training with the success athletes enjoy on the field.

It seems a little odd that the scouts are impressed by your weight loss, while you are also throwing harder and lasting longer.